Continuing to Analyze Hematodinium BLAST results
Again, this all refers to my project to locally blast hematodinium transcriptome data against the Swiss-prot database
Made major progress! Ran the hemat transcriptome through DIAMOND BLASTx and analyzed my results! Everything went quite smoothly, which was great - didn’t have too much time, as I’ve got the College of Environment orientation for most of this afternoon. No major issues to report- all went well
(Unmatched queries for both DIAMOND and NCBI BLASTx and matches that were only made by DIAMOND and NCBI BLASTx)[https://github.com/afcoyle/jupyter-notebook/tree/master/hematodinium-blast-data/results]
(Code for the analyses)[https://github.com/afcoyle/jupyter-notebook/blob/master/hematodinium-blast-data/analyzing-hemat-data.ipynb]
Overall, DIAMOND BLASTx had fewer matched queries than NCBI BLASTx (2501 vs 2862). Generally, the queries were fairly similar - DIAMOND matched 26 queries that NCBI didn’t.
Speed-wise, DIAMOND was way, way faster. NCBI took several hours to run, whereas DIAMOND ran in a minute or two. It was astoundingly quick!
Anyway, that’s about all I’ve got for this day - excited to start classes next week!