Research Update - Hematodinium Investigation
Yesterday’s notebook update focused on my plans to investigate future research questions. This one focuses on my current project - analyzing differential expression in Hematodinium in Grace’s samples.
I’m roughly at the same stage as before - I’ve got all my differentialy-expressed GO terms, but realized a few things. The most important of those: for analysis with GO-MWU/GOseq/some other gene enrichment analysis, I need to provide all my genes, not just the differentially-expressed ones. Because of that, I had to start over on my R script that produces a newline-separated file of UniProt accessions.
When going through my R script, I realized I’ve learned a lot in the last few months. The script was badly written, and I had to either sub out specific parts each time, or have differnt scripts for different files. Because of that, I decided to rewrite my scripts, and turned the whole DESeq2 analysis into a single function. I did the same for the process that creates newline-separated files. I now have two important R scripts - one containing all my functions, and another that calls them. I also create a Venn diagram in the latter R script, since I didn’t think such a specific task was worth turning into a function.
Anyway, that was most of what I was working on recently. I now have newline-separated files of my DEG and all genes, and my next steps are as follows (I was incorrect in the order for next steps in my 12/21 post):
- Get input for GO-MWU (a two-column table with genes + GO terms, and a two-column table of genes + unadjusted p-value0)
- Perform enrichment analysis using GO-MWU (or if I can’t, use topGO or something else)
The process of getting GO terms for all genes (rather than just DEGs) might take a long, long time. But hey, nothing I can do about that except start on it soon!